Saturday, October 25, 2008

Show & Tell With Mel, Sunday, October 26th

So I turn 40 next month. I figured that was worth something special and since I usually end up picking out my own "presents", this is what I wanted with which to mark the occasion:



Some of you may recall my previous Show & Tell on the subject of reading and Margaret Mitchell's well known novel in particular. At the end of the post, I mentioned wanting to read the book again. Well, time passed, and I forgot about that desire in the busy pace of summer. My first Sunday home following discharge from my surgery, I lay on the couch and watched "Gone With The Wind" while my family was at church. Selznick's GWTW lasts longer than church and my family found me, still on the couch, watching the movie when they returned. Again I thought, "I really need to give this book another go through." Yet again, this desire got relegated to the back burners of my mind, until desperate for some sort of useful household type activity, I decided to dust the bookshelves - since I still am not allowed to push a vacuum. It was there I came across my copy - dogeared and battered and missing the last several pages. This was the moment when I decided it was high time I got a new copy and hardcover to boot. So I let my fingers do the googling and I am now anxiously awaiting my "new" book. There are many, many different versions to be found, from the leatherbound to the anniversary editions to the first editions. I chose this one - I liked the red toile slipcover. The birthday thing was a very convenient excuse.

You can see more pictures at this e.Bay auction. (Note: This is not ** the one** I purchased - just had some more purty(sic) pictures. )


For more Show & Tell - click here

17 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Lovely and cool--what a great birthday gift.

Malky B. said...

I loved the movie and book when I was in high school. Enjoy the new copy and happy upcoming birthday.

loribeth said...

I eventually got myself a hardcover version too -- a reproduction of the original, including dust jacket. Enjoy!!

Delenn said...

What a wonderful gift! It does look very beautiful.

AnotherDreamer said...

I love picking out my own presents, always get just what I want. What a great b-day gift for you :) I hope you have a happy upcoming b-day.

Kristin said...

Very cool! I love that book. I remember sitting up reading it when I was supposed to be studying for my US History test (in 8th grade).

battynurse said...

Very pretty book. And a great gift for yourself.

Antigone said...

Very pretty cover. I've never read it. I can't imagine a better birthday gift than a book and time time to read it.

Rachel said...

Nice book! I've never read it, but always felt I should one day. Enjoy your birthday present!

Sam said...

oh yes, the birthday excuse is always a very very good one. In fact my own birthday is less than two weeks away and I am quite sure that I'll be buying myself something!!

I am sure that I have read GWTW, but am not entirely sure as I have read far too many books in my lifetime to be certain which I have or haven't read!!

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Here from Show & Tell. Can you believe I've never read or watched the entire movie or book? And I'm a BIG fan of reading and film! I'm thinking it's high time I do both.

Malky B. said...

The recipe is up on my site for the pie. Enjoy.

MrsSpock said...

I always pick my own presents as well. What a lovely gift!

Just Me. said...

OOOh lovely idea.

Happy happy birthday...in advance!!!

Unknown said...

Be sure to set aside some time on your birthday to get away and enjoy your new present. Enjoy!

Rebecca and Chris said...

I found your post through LFCA and clicked to your previous Show & Tell post about your original copy of GWTW and felt (as others have said) like I found my long-lost twin!

I read the book in grade 8 and my paperback copy is in pretty much the same state yours is in. I devoured it and it is one of my favourite books to this day.

I get frustrated when trying to tell people why I like the book so much and what an important book it truly is. They are sure it's just a realllllly long romance novel and laugh at me. Has anyone else had that experience? Popular culture has taken hold of so much from the book and trivialized it. I've actually tried to find some academic journal articles on the book to prove my point but haven't been successful yet.

This book covers so many themes and ideas, all enveloped in the characters, and asks so many enduring questions. I could go on forever!

That's it - I'm pulling out my copy tonight and reading it again!!

Searching said...

Just stopping by to say hello!