Saturday, July 26, 2008
Show & Tell with Mel Sunday July 27th
Feeling a bit remiss in that I haven't done S&T the last couple weeks thanks to a crazy busy summer. Though I was determined this weekend to participate. I was trying to figure out what to share and then I decided to share ME!
This is one of my senior pictures. I graduated in 1987 from Manitou Springs High School in Colorado. I was one of 104 graduating seniors. The photo I chose for the yearbook was a serious looking headshot. I thought it made me look cool and mature. Nowadays - this one is my favorite shot. Probably the only one of me really smiling - the others are serious or just me wearing what looks like a smirk. Aside from how skinny I was, check out that hair! Do you have any idea how long it took me to get my limp, fine stick straight hair to do that 80's layered thing? Two hours - I kid you not. I had to curl, spray, comb, curl, spray and repeat with backcombing and then spray within an inch of my life. By lunchtime my hair was completely limp - but fortunately the pictures were taken in the morning! I use to find it truly annoying that most of the bands in the 80's had guys with hair that was prettier than mine.
The picture shows me standing at the beginning of my adult life - I was fresh, ready and raring to go - before boyfriends I took too seriously crushed my heart, before recurrent pg loss crushed my soul; before hopes and dreams and plans had to conform to reality or fade away altogether. Though, you know what? The me today - older, hopefully wiser, greyer and lined with life experience - I wouldn't trade in for her and all her bright-eyed idealogy. Though - I would love to be able to fit in that dress again!
Since I am hitting 40 years soon - here are 40 things about me:
1. I lived in 9 different places by the time I was 6 and then stayed in that last place until I was 21
2. My dad is my hero
3. I couldn't stand my oldest younger brother growing up
4. Now I think he is one of the best people I know
5. I am the oldest of 8
6. I changed most of their diapers - sometimes I remind them of that just to bug them!
7. When dh and I first got married - I had a hard time cooking for less than 10 people
8. I was a dj when dh and I met and interviewed Kenny Loggins on air the same week I got engaged
9. I love to sew
10. I hate sewing
11. I don't read instructions - I'm a dive on in kind of gal, most of the time it works
11. I sing - like really well
12. I taught myself how to play the piano
13. I'm not that great at playing the piano
14. I love to write - not writing like writing books - but actual writing - the putting of pen/pencil to paper - I like the feel of it
15. I collect cookbooks - most of them I've never cooked anything out of - I just like looking at them!
16. My first pet was a grey tiger striped kitten named Pixie
17. I have a HUGE box full of Nancy Drew mysteries in the basement
18. I have a HUGE box full of cassette tapes right next to the Nancy Drew books
19. Some people look at the glass and say it is half empty, others look at it and say it is half full - I look at the glass and say "who's gonna wash that?"
20. I miss my Aunt Julie terribly
21. I hate that my parents are getting "so old" - I worry about them, a lot
22. I hiked up to the top of Pikes Peak with a 40 lb pack on my back and met Bobby Unser Jr at 14,110 feet
23. I use to write stories when I was a teenager
24. I want to still write but lately only spin the tales in my head while I try to fall asleep
25. I need more sleep
26. I need a lot more sleep
27. The first time I went to a bar, my date was 43 years old, I was 20 and we went to listen to some local jazz
28. I was born on the same exact day as the infamous "Heidi Game" - which is why I am a diehard Raiders fan
29. If you ask me what my favorite music is - the answer will depend on my mood
30. If you ask for any genre of music - I probably have it in my collection somewhere (give it a try sometime! I am a little short on Indie - but I do have some Gregorian Chants in a box somewhere . . )
31. I spent most of my teenage years impatient for the day I could leave Colorado
32. I have spent every day since leaving wishing I could go back permanently
33. I talk too much
34. I love to bowl - and I really suck at it too
35. Because of my asthma I can't breathe in bowling alleys
36. I am 5'8" and have only one sibling (out of 8) shorter than me - I am next to runt
37. When we got married, Dh and I could wear the same pants/shirts
39. We have the same size feet - his smell a lot worse
40. Even though I don't need it anymore and it is trying to kill me, I really don't want to lose my uterus in 6 weeks - for some of my babies, it was the only way I was able to hold them
For more Show & Tell with Mel - see here