Saturday, December 20, 2008

Show & Tell with Mel - Dec. 20th - Making Cookies!

I thought it would be fun for this week's Show & Tell if we made cookies together! Every year at Christmastime we make Snowballs. That really isn't their name, but that's what everyone ends up calling them anyway. We make a TON of Snowballs and then we usually give them all away. We made a quadruple batch - 125 cookies (less 2 one of the midgets in my house ran off with). Follows is the pictorial and recipe!




I'm a very big proponent of the dump and mix method. The dark spots are the vanilla.




Add the nuts.



Mix to a soft dough consistancy. With a handmixer this usually takes forever and makes your arm feel like it's gonna fall off. It will seem like it is too dry - but keep mixing, some sort of chemical change takes place and you get this nice dough. My Bosch does this in just about a minute - it totally rocks!



Now form the dough into small balls. You don't need much space between them on the cookie sheet as they do not flatten out. (Yes, that's my recipe written in crayon on the paper covering my table - I had to call my mom when I couldn't find my old copy!)



Bake and cool on racks.



When cool, roll in powdered sugar. That's my assistant - isn't she cute? She's also very slow - I dusted about 4.5 dozen snowballs to her measly one. That's what you get when you don't pay your help.



That is what over 10 dozen Snowballs looks like. I usually put a 21 lb turkey on that platter. (Don't worry - I washed it after Thanksgiving!)



We counted them out and put them in Gladware. (Great stuff - reusable too!)



Top with a bow and tag and voila! You get to eat the six that are leftover now.


Now that you've seen the action - here's the recipe. Hope you make them and enjoy a bit of sweetness from my house to yours!

Pecan Petites (aka Snowballs)

1 cup butter
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix well to a soft dough. Roll into balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool on racks. When cool, roll in powdered sugar.

Enjoy!

To see what the rest of the class might be cooking up - see here.



19 comments:

Jamie said...

Yum!! Thanks for the pictorial recipe. I always get along so much better when I KNOW what it is supposed to look like!

Mrs. Spit said...

Num! Num!

Excuse me, I need to go dig into the butter tarts.

Malky B. said...

Looks like you guys had fun. I use a Bosh as well for baking - I really like mine.

AnotherDreamer said...

OoOoO, that looks yummy!

I am totally going to write that recipe down...

GINA and KEV said...

They sound and look yummy!

Smiling said...

yum, thanks 4 sharing! Was that a special kind of mixer, I kept wondering how it worked.

*T* said...

Great recipe! I am going to try it today during the snowstorm!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Thanks for the recipe! I am always looking for new treats to add to the holiday repertoire. Do you ever try another type of nuts, or always pecans?

areyoukiddingme said...

Mmmm...cookies! I feel like the Cookie Monster lately

The Steadfast Warrior said...

They look so tasty! Thanks for sharing. Myself, I'm baking scottish shortbread later today.

Cara said...

ah - quite a teacher you make mixing learning styles!!

I love that receipe and will definately try it this season.

Dora said...

Yummy!

Photogrl said...

Just getting ready to start Round #2 of baking, myself.

I make these too! Only with walnuts...I think I like the idea of pecans better.

battynurse said...

Those look yummy. I may have to try them sometime.

Unknown said...

We made cookies together too. Quite a mess, but totally fun. My girls loved making the sugar cookies because of the different colors of frosting. I like the snowballs too.

Happy holidays.

MrsSpock said...

Oh yum! Those look really easy!

loribeth said...

Ooh, yummy. I'm going to have to print this recipe off to add to my collection.

Pamela T. said...

mmmmm. yum! dropping by to wish you and yours a very merry and happy holiday...

Sam said...

ooh that looks very tasty!! I too love my mixer - it really does take all the work out of it!!

Merry Christmas!